Thursday, May 14, 2009

The rain begins and the fishing ends.....


After a long awaited day of doing absolutely nothing, I took one final at school and then it was off to go fishing. I figured with the water being somewhat up, I would hit the mouth of Davis Creek where it flows into the Kanawha River. This place has always been good to me, so I figured I'd give it another shot. Sure enough, as soon as I got there I started catching them. White bass, smallmouth, largemouth, and spotted bass were in great numbers up in the creek(backwater) and they were hitting everything from 3" grubs to topwater Rapala's. I caught around 30 or so before it got dark, then came the Sauger bite. I caught around 10 or so Sauger before my catfish rod that I had out began to give off drag like crazy. Baited up with a freshly cut bluegill, I knew whatever it was would be of somewhat significant size. I jerked, set the hook good, and the fight was on! After a 4 or 5 minutes battle, the beast came to hand. Not the biggest flathead in the world, but for 12 pound test, a 12-15 pound flathead will sure give you a run for your money. Just as I got him in, it began to rain, and pretty hard at that. So with no waterproof gear to my name with me, I had to pack it in. Overall though, it was an evening that I can't complain about.

No comments:

Post a Comment