Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Beggers can't be choosers.......


So with all the streams being blown out from enough rain that probably had Noah thinking about a return trip, trout, smallmouth and the whole "wading" thing hasn't really been in the picture. Instead, they have been currently replaced with Turkey hunting and fishing in the backwater areas and local ponds around Charleston. Now, me myself would much rather be walking up some remote stream in the mountains but with school coming to a close and finals to be taken care of, I am stuck here fishing the Kanawha River (which isn't a bad thing). Most of the past week was consumed with Turkey hunting to which I've had no luck. Heard many birds, saw a couple, but never could get any shots off at any of them. The fishing however, has been much better. White bass and Hybrids have been in "flocks" shall I say, coming up into the backwater areas of the creeks. A local pond has also been very good to me the past few days by providing me with some awesome ultra-light catfishing. Yeah, I said ultra-light catfishing. Knowing that the biggest fish in the lake is probably only around 6lbs or so, I decided to give my bass gear and my 7' ultra-light with 4lb test a try at the whiskered beasts. May I say it has been a blast! Ended up getting into some big bullheads as well, including the one pictured which is a WV citation of 2lbs. Hopefully the water will receed soon and I can get back to doing what I like best. Warmwater fishing has its perks, but I'm ready to catch some brookies, browns, and rainbows again.

No comments:

Post a Comment